Interview Questions

1. What are some things you look for in an interviewee that would be a sign you would not want to hire them?
    1. Showing up late to the interview.
    2. Not dressing professionally to an interview.
    3. Not meeting basic grooming needs (body odor/ messy hair).
    4. Making inappropriate comments during the interview.
    5. Saying negative things about a company you previously worked for.
  2. What would you consider an adequate amount of time for an interview?
    1. “I think the adequate amount of time for an interview is going to depend on the position you are interviewing for. Generally, for nurses I think 20 minutes is a good amount of time. 
  3. Do you prefer one on one interviews or interviewing someone with a panel of interviewers?
    1. “We always have a panel of interviewers and we rotate asking questions. The panel always includes the manager and assistant manager, however others in the panel may vary.”
  4.  Do you have a set of questions that you ask everyone you interview or do you ask questions based on the progression of the interview and the questions vary from person to person? 
    1. “ We do use a set of questions that we ask everyone we are interviewing for a specific job title, but depending on how the interview progresses and various things that are brought up additional questions may be added to that.”
  5. How do you record your thoughts while interviewing? Do you write down thoughts as you interview? Do you make mental notes and record later? 
    1. “Every member of the panel has a clipboard that they can use to write down their thoughts throughout the interview. Personally, I like to write a lot during the interview, because we have a lot of candidates we are interviewing and if I don’t write it down in the moment I will forget or get it mixed up with a different candidate.”
  6. How do you avoid asking illegal questions or avoid heading down the wrong direction with your interview?
    1. “Myself and the assistant manager have a lot of experience with interviewing and therefore know the legalities of which questions can and can not be asked. The other members of the panel sometimes aren’t as familiar with these laws so we always discuss it as a group prior to starting the interviews to ensure everyone in well informed.”
  7. Do you require a background check and do you look at your candidates social media?
    1. “We do require a background check for potential employees, but we do not look at their social media.” 
  8. When interviewing a candidate for a position posting what are some key behaviours within the interview that would deter you from hiring the candidate?. 
    1. As mentioned earlier, things like inappropriate comments such as sexual or vulgar language, negative comments about previous employers, showing up late, and being inadequately prepared for the interview.” 
  9. When asking the interviewer questions are you looking for specific responses, or are you more interested in the way the candidate articulates their response?
    1. “ I am not looking for a specific response per say, because you will get vastly different answers to the same question, there isn’t one specific right answer. Yet, we are often looking for generalized topics. I look for the interviewee to actually stay on topic and answer the question that was asked.” 
  10. Experience is always great to have, but at what point would you hire someone with less experience? Could you give examples if this is true?
    1. “The cost of paying a new graduate is significantly cheaper than a nurse with several years of experience. I like our department to have a good balance of new and experienced nurses which may sway my hiring decision one way or the other. In our department, we often have people (like yourself) who started out in a different role such as a tech or a HUC and have worked in the department for many years. I am more inclined to hire a new nurse in this situation, because I know them better, I know their work ethic, and I know that they are dedicated to our department.”
  11. When considering a candidate for the position are you intrigued when a candidate has a professional portfolio on top of their resume, and does this set them above other candidates?
    1. “ I don’t have a strong feeling about a professional portfolio either way. If a candidate brings one I will look at a few aspects of it, but I prefer to look at their resume as a condensed version.”
  12. How do you score or compare candidates across the board after the interview process?
    1.  “We don’t have a scoring system to rate or grade candidates, we simply take notes and discuss the attributes we like or dislike about the candidates.” 
  13. There are some people who are qualified for the job but are not good at interviews. When you see someone struggling in an interview, what do you do? 
    1. “Some people aren’t as good at interviewing as others, and that is okay. I don’t expect them to be perfect or not be nervous. If the interviewee is struggling I will try to redirect them and encourage them to start their response over. A certain degree of flustering is expected and okay. At the same time, though, we do work in a department that requires one to be quick thinking so it does go a long way if we can see this quality in the interview.”
  14. When making the final decision on a candidate, what process do you follow? Who do you communicate with to send an offer?
    1. “Everyone in the panel deliberates together and each person can voice their opinion about which candidate they believe would be the best fit and why, then the assistant manager and myself will discuss it in more depth. If there was a candidate that worked here in another role or as a capstone student, we will talk with those who work with them frequently or their preceptor to get their input as well. After a decision has been made we communicate that decision to HR, and they contact the candidate and inform them of the job offer.”
  15. When you interview a candidate what type of body language do you look for? Facial expressions? Placement of hands? What gives the impression of confidence in your opinion. 
    1. “I look for candidates who appear confident and happy. I want them to be smiling, engaged, not fidgeting, and making eye contact.”

I interviewed my Nursing Manager in the ED. I feel like I already knew several of the things that we talked about throughout this interview from previously classes. But, it was helpful to see the way they do things in our department specifically. Some things such as showing up on time and dressing appropriately seemed so obvious to me, yet apparently a lot of people do not, which shocked me. I liked what my manager said about encourage the interviewee to start their response over if they are struggling with a specific question. I’ve always felt like this wasn’t an option, so it is helpful to know this for future interviews. And although my manager said our department doesn’t look at their candidates social media, he did aknowledge to me that he knows of many people that do, so it was a good reminder to be cautious about the things I am posting on social media for that aspect.