Reflective Journal Week 5

This week we learned about performance appraisals and problem employees. I learned about the value and limitations to performance appraisals. One thing that stood out to me from the lecture videos was performance appraisals for employees who work night and or weekends. The video mentioned how the nursing manager and other administrative personal probably haven’t had a lot of interaction with these employees while they are working, and therefore may not be able to make an informed decision about their performance appraisals. In this situation is can be helpful to consult with the charge nurses that routinely work with them.

In learning about problem employees, I learned that a verbal warming isn’t actually just verbal, but also has a paper trail that goes along with it temporarily. I never knew this before. I also learned about the various stages of warnings and who should be involved in each stage. I think that it is a good idea to always have someone else with you so its not “he said-she said” I also think HR is a great resource to utilize especially in cases of repeated problems. I also found the topic of not firing a on Friday interesting. I wouldn’t have ever thought about this before. I would never have thought that the day of the week could make such a huge difference. This is something I would be interested in doing more research on. I am curious if this is something that is widely known and practiced throughout multiple industries, or if there needs to be more education done on this topic.

My main take-away from the team discussions, there are many great leaders, it is difficult to pick just one “greatest leader of all time.” The leaders we discussed came from different eras and different fields in which they lead, so it is kind of like comparing apples and oranges. But I did notice that they all had several things in common. The main thing that stood out to me was inspiration. I think that in order for a leader to be effective he was to be very inspirational, thing is the best way to get a true and devoted following that can spark change.